Due to the snow event we are experiencing we will be moving Sunday morning's 0900 AM class to 1100 AM. This should give you all plenty of time to shovel out and still get to class in time for the workout.
Anyone who even remotely scans the best sellers list will recognize his name and his book "The 4-Hour Workweek". Tim tells why he uses Kettlebells and his path to the RKC.
Thanks to CrossFit Southbay for this inspirational list:
- I will promise to (always) do my best. My best will vary from day to day, from hour to hour, from minute to minute - but in that minute I will do the best I can.
- Lactic acid is my friend. The wind is my friend. Anything that opposes me is actually helping me to become stronger. If I had no opposition I would be weak.
- If I can run, I run. If I can walk, I walk. When I am forced to crawl, I crawl - and then I rest to fight another day.
- I fear no man but I fear my workout. If I don't fear my workout it isn't hard enough.
- I may puke. I may cry. But I will not quit. EVER.
- I will not cheat. There is no honor in cheating. What joy can there be in a victory I did not earn?
- The workout missed is the opportunity missed. I will not cheat myself of the opportunity to become a better athlete and person.
- I understand the value of the push-up, the pull-up, the sit-up, the squat and the deadlift. Just as there are a million ways to make chicken, so too there are a million ways to push-up, pull-up, sit-up, squat and deadlift.
- I will give everything I have and then I will find more within myself.
- I don't complain. Complaining is for cry-babies. There are 11,232 born in the United States every day. I will leave the crying to them and I will soldier on.
I will bite off challenges and spit out results - What are you going to do?
In a desperate attempt to get more clients we will be starting Kettle-skate classes next month. So dust off your roller skates for the grooviest workout on eight wheels!!!
NOTE: Please God put me out my misery if it ever comes to this!!!
Our very own Liz and Dos will be taking the plunge on January 30th, 2010 to benefit the Special Olympics. If you are interested in helping them out you can donate to one (or both) by going to Liz's Plunge Page or to Dos' Plunge Page.
You've tried all the latest fad diets and workouts - high carb, Jazzercize, low carb, Pilates, high fat, Curves, low fat, Tae Bo, high fiber, Yoga, low fiber, Strippercise, grapefruit and even the cabbage soup diet. They didn't work and it's not because you don't have the willpower or the desire to see results! Why don't diets work? Because they are all fundamentally flawed!
This workshop is going to arm you with all the skills you need to get a phenomenal workout in a short period time (can you say in 10 minutes or less?) and get into the best shape of your life. We are going to cover fundamental Kettlebell skills like the Swing, Clean, Squat and Military Press as well as some variations of each basic technique. We are even going to go through a couple quick mini-workouts so that you will get a feel for the fun and intensity of a real kettlebell workout!This workshop will be held in Gaithersburg, Maryland at (CrossFit Koncepts) on Sunday January 24th, 2010 from 10:30 AM to 04:30 PM. NOTE: Cost for the workshop is $120.00 per person - bring a friend and the price drops to $80.00 per person! The five (5) hour workshop will include demonstration, instruction, practice and training periods as well as video analysis of your technique (which you can keep). There will also be a one hour break for lunch and mini-breaks throughout the workshop.
If you've ever watched "The Biggest Loser" on TV then I'm sure you know who Jillian Michaels is. As the trainer to the "uber-unfit" she pushes, screams and yells them into better shape. I don't have a real problem with that - those people signed up for that kind of abuse so they deserve it. What does piss me off is her having her charges use Kettlebells when she obviously has NO IDEA what the heck she is doing with them!?!?
Don't believe me? Watch the short clip below and tell me what you think:
BTW - Do you think I'm rushing to condemn her based on a short video clip? HELL YES! She shows absolute and utter disregard for basic Kettlebell skills in less than 15 seconds. It doesn't take a whole lot to prove she shouldn't be using or teaching others to use Kettlebells.
NOTE: I noticed in the Washington Post this weekend that either Target or Dick's is selling a Jillian Michaels endorsed adjustable Kettlebell... how's that for adding insult to injury?!?!
One of the most challenging "grind" techniques that we do as part of a workout has got to be the Turkish Get-up or the TGU. The TGU is a perfect (or torturous) blend of strength, flexibiliy and mobility. At first glance it doesn't look that difficult - but once you are under that kettlebell and try to get moving it's a totally different experience!
As always there are a lot of really TERRIBLE examples of the TGU o youTube and elsewhere. You need to understand that there is a good reason behind the way we (the RKC community) does the TGU. It has to do with supporting a HEAVY load (not a light one where you can muscle your way through improper and unsafe technique) and transitioning while maintaining it above you on the way up and down.
Watch the following video for a good example of how to do the TGU (By CrossFit Koncepts Dynamic Duo: Dos and Liz)
A number of people did Blackjack the other day and claimed that it was as bad, if not worse, than "Two Minute Warning"! Which is one hell of an endorsement because EVERYONE hates "Two Minute Warning"!!!
Looks like Blackjack is going to end up on my list of the "Top Ten Workouts That I Love to Hate" very soon! :)
If you missed it earlier this week you'll see it again - very soon - and if you want to try it on your own then here it is:
- 07 KB Thrusters
- 07 Pull-ups
- 07 Burpees
- 07 Rounds for Time
- 53# KB for Men and 35# KB for Women
- ~17:00 minutes is considered baseline for this workout
Enjoy the Pain!